Final Destruction in Dry-Dock

After the steel was cut away almost to the water line (by this time we had removed most of the wood and fetched it to our premises) the water had to be pumped out of the hull to refloat the ship so it could be moved into the adjacent dry-dock. In this photo you can see the water exhausting from two of the four huge diesel pumps. (Photo: spring 2004, Mary Verburg)


In this photo the tug from Nadro Marine is attached to the stern of the Canadiana to shunt it into the dry-dock. The dry-dock is now operated by L. Sandrin Marine Services, head office Sarnia, Ont. Lucio Sandrin, the president, is a good neighbour and has been most cooperative in all phases of the demolition process. (Photo: spring 2004, Mary Verburg)


In this photo the bow of the Canadiana is almost to the south end of the dry-dock. Water from the diesel pumps is still visible on both the port and starboard sides. Note the crane on the starboard side from Waymar Bros., Port Colborne.


Efforts were made to preserve some of the key components of the ship. The propeller and shaft, weighing some 8 tons, are to go on display in Crystal Beach. Currently these pieces are at Feiertag Welding in Ridgeway, Ontario, where master welder Eddie Feiertag is reattaching one of the two missing blades.


Just before Christmas 2004, a heavy crane and barge were arranged to lift the engine out of the dry-dock and take it to be on display in Buffalo. The engine had been estimated to weigh about 30 tons. Of course, it was still attached to a part of the hull. The crane could do little more than rock the engine back and forth. L. Sandrin Marine Services arranged for their people to pump out the dry-dock. Port Colborne Fraser Marine division of Algoma Shipping sent a crew to cut the engine away from the hull. Around New Year’s the crane was able to lift out the engine and then the piece of the hull. Revised estimates put the engine at about 70 tons and the piece of hull at 30 tons. (Photos: Mary Verburg)


Back to top